Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Guilty pleasures

Okay. So we all have them...guilty pleasures. Two in particular come to mind in my case (seriously, when I actually have to think about what I like, et cetera, I draw up blank). Anyways, back to the point. Guilty pleasures.

The two on the forefront of my mind are these: Bakugan and The Superhero Squad. Though I hardly watch them, as I never catch them on, I admit that I have succumb to the charm of these not-so charming shows. Haha.

I'll elaborate just because this is my blog and I can do so.

The Superhero Squad is a show I really hated the idea of when it first came out. I wanted nothing to do with it. But as a lot of things I hate, I end up giving them a try out of boredom or lack of anything better to do. Nothing else was on television, so I flipped to Cartoon Network and watched this.

It was exactly what I expected. The show is cheesy beyond measure; puns and jokes are bad, overused and frankly not that funny. Art is terrible. Do I really need to elaborate on that fact? They altered the history of some characters, adding the most idiotic things to make it more childish I guess. Because as far as I know, Thor was most definitely not in a band dressed in '80s hair metal style. (Plus, Asgardian's are way too cool for hot pink tiger striped pants. I kid you not, they had him wear those.) Don't even get me started on the voices...most of them nearly cause bleeding from your ears. Still, this show has entertained me enough to where I actually watch it... I think I need help. Marvel has me so brainwashed that I even find stumpy, stupid, and childish superheroes amazing.

Now on to Bakugan. Oh lord. While working in Target during the Christmas season back in '08, I scanned so much Bakugan merchandise and I just wasn't impressed. Working Black Friday was even worse...ringing up so much of the toys. It was probably my most scanned item that day, to be honest. One women bought about fifteen of the little toys. But I digress. The point is: I wasn't overly impressed with Bakugan in the first place, and the fuss over the silly toys just made my impressions worse. But just like most things I watch, I had a sleepless night and after finally laying in bed, about 6:30 AM, Bakugan was on the television (my TV is almost always on Cartoon Network by default). I was too tired from lack of sleep to care, and found myself watching this show with mediocre art and cheesy dialogue. (I'm also pretty sure that one girl isn't supposed to talk like a valley girl.)

I don't have much to say about Bakugan, as I haven't seen as much of it as I have The Superhero Squad. But I will admit to enjoying the show, and even getting butterflies from anticipation every time Drago and Dan get separated (which happens often, now that I think about it). I even sing the opening song. Gets stuck in my head.

That's the end of my too long part about guilty pleasures. You should tell me about yours ;]

BUT WAIT....THERE'S MORE! It's not that bad though. Scouts honor.

Reading the lovely Comics Worth Reading site, I found a post about a comic called The Guild. She said good things about it, so I went to the publishers website and read a sample. From the first page, I knew I would love this story. But alas, being jobless calls for cutting back on your geeky pleasures. So I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that the comic is based on a show. And not just any show. A free web series show. Oh yes, that's what I'm talking about. So I headed over to the web series site and spent the night watching all three seasons of the show.

It is amazing.

The story follows Cyd AKA Codex, an online RPG-gamer, and her 'Guildies'. All socially awkward people enthralled completely in the online world. It follows them as they get to know one another in person and face challenges. Silly challenges, that is. The show is a humor show, each episode starting with a narrative from Cyd via her webcam, reflecting on the occurrences of the last episode, and leaving a nice opening for the episode to come. Each episode ranges from 3-8 minutes long, and is definitely worth watching. In fact, it's worth buying the DVD's they have for sale.

Long story short: The Guild is a wonderful, funny show that everyone should watch.

GO GO! (Power Rangers?)
Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Okay...I'll try this again. You are such a nerd!
    You know, of course, that I don't understand a bit of this but it is well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll elaborate just because this is my blog and I can do so. hahahahaha
    You are exactly right; It's your blog, and digress and go on tangents to your heart's content. That's what this is for.

    Guilty pleasures? Not in episodic television. I choose my shows fairly carefully, and they all seem to me to be well worth the effort.
    Except in my early college days, I watched a few dating reality TV shows regularly. "Third wheel" I think it was. THAT was a guilty pleasure, becuase it made me feel better about being perpetually single ;-)

    ReplyDelete